Protesters flee from teargas fired by riot police, during clashes after thousands of protesters blocked the main street to the financial Central district outside the government headquarters in Hong Kong | View photo - Yahoo News UK
- Thousands of university and secondary school students protested days before Occupy Central.
- Occupy Central formally began on Sunday (09-28 at 1:30am). Participants inc. some Legco members, minors and students but composed of different classes of people.
- Rubber bullets, tear gas were used by police to suppress the peaceful ‘sit-in’.
- Hospitals got ready for casulties. Dozens injured.
- Subway trains bypass Admiralty station.
- Busy streets paralyzed in Mongkok as protest spread to Kowloon. One police van in MongKok damaged by protestors. Many bus service in various areas suspended.
- HK Chief Executive called for calm, claimed did not ask for army’s help and no firing of live rounds.
- Schools in Wan Chai, Central and Western District will be closed on Monday.
- Benny Tai: Protest is beyond his expectations and is getting out of control, shed his tears, and felt proud of the people. He believed he would face heavy punishment for initiating the Occupy Central movement
- Gov’t and Exec Council had both appealed to end the ‘chaos’.
- Student Fed leaders Alex Chow, Lester Shum and Scholarism leader Joshua Wong were released.
- Xinhua: China’s central government firmly opposes these illegal acts in HK.